Pages

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

I want to wish you all readers a very Merry Christmas and relaxing holiday. That's the most the sarcastic me can grant to everyone.

I just watched "The" Christmas movie. It had all: the main character is born by immaculate conception, there is opression and guilt, strong feelings and a great 'New Hope' beginning for the next part. 

Yes, it was the Revenge of Sith.

A lot went through my mind watching it. First of all, I was in the second opening of the original Star wars some years ago (ok, the Finnish opening was on 16th of December 1977. I saw it on 17th with my father who states it was his worst decision to let me in at the tender age of 9.). I'm a long term fan, still waiting for the 9 parts to become true. As you may know, the first six are done... G. Lucas has stated that he has no plans to fullfil the original 12 parts... but the three after the fall of the Empire... Ahh...

About the movie. It's not a real Christmas movie. Not by a wide shot. Really. I cannot understand the reason behind the decision to show it beginning at 13.25 on Christmas day. The final part in which Anakin turns into Darth Vader is something I don't think is suitable to see even for our 10 years old, let alone younger. People burning in their clothes, crying their pain, isn't suitable to most older, either, let alone minors.

Also the advertising companies showed their lack of reasoning in the local television channel. There were ads for young ladies, middle aged ladies and... seniors. Ladies seemed to be the main audience according to the ad agencies. How more misguided could they have been? Really?

All in all, I cried. Ok, this was the first time I saw the movie, and I cried to the joy of seeing how the three first movies were tied to The Original One. And how cleverly and obviously that was done.

George Lucas, I salute you.

Off to play WoW. I hope I can aim through my tears of joy.

Merry Christmas all!

No comments: